When I read your question and then reread my post I realized I may have led you inadvertently astray.

I have the winged Skinner sight mounted on a 336 Marlin, and have picked that as the perfect option for a rear sight for the Remington not realizing Skinner does not make it for the 7600. I have used other peep sights on the 760/7600/740/742. My apologies for any confusion!!!

Your dilemma with the express sight which is mounted further forward now comes into better focus.

I have just talked with "Rob" at Skinner Sights, friendly and knowledgeable about this scenario, and we considered all the available options as I stood over a bald 7600 on my workbench, ruler in hand.

I believe the solution, which we came to about simultaneously, is to go with the Skinner lo-pro sight. This is an ultra simple aperture that screws into a 6-48 hole such is the rearmost hole in the 7600 receiver. It is adjustable for elevation - you adjust windage with the front sight.

This will put the aperture even closer to your eye than the Williams sight, IMO, all the way to the rear. Way further back than the express sight for the 7600. Here's the link: http://www.skinnersights.com/lo-pro_sight_7.html

The lo-pro doesn't have the wings, but Rob informed me that they had experienced only two cases in which the aperture sight had broken off, so I reckon that's plenty strong. And if you want to beef it up, they also offer the option of the larger screw than the 6-48 but you'd have to drill the receiver out on that one hole.

Hope this helps!

Disclaimer: no affiliation to Skinner, just a customer

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough