Originally Posted by LJBass
Not that I need a kit gun, but if you were looking for a gun to carry in your box while fishing, what would you choose.

I've got some smaller pistols like a j-frame, but mostly I keep full size pistols around for shooting. Since I don't want to wade all day flyfishing with the extra weight of a full size, I'm looking for something lighter.

Couple years ago I would have went with a Ruger LC9, but I haven't kept up much. What would you guys be looking at?

If you are not looking for something for bear defense, or something to shoot at beer cans or turtles, etc., it would seem to me that you already have just what you need. Load your J - frame S&W with a combination of snake shot and SWCs or HPs of your choosing and you are well armed for whatever. Take along an optional speed strip or speed loader if desired. This should take care of any rabid animals - coyote sized types and 2 legged types as well - that you might encounter, snakes, attack perch, etc., that you may encounter. A J - frame is lightweight, compact, and .38 SPL is powerful enough punch for any of these critters. Now if you have a concern about bears, I would suggest a S&W M-69 .44 Mag with the heaviest SWCs you can find. This is an L frame and a little bit larger than a K frame, but much handier than a N frame. A good way to carry it would be in a chest holster. JMHO, YMMV.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."