I wish I’d have read the OP, prior to digging out some old load data. I was going to offer some good loads for a .44 (heavy cast, wide metplat) for fishing! Also, have some good “trout loads” for my rifle, also cast bullets. You don’t have to carry all that fishing gear and a firearm....just a box of “special” bullets. As a plus, the fish you get is not a random chance.....you pick out the one you want! wink

So now to attempt to answer the actual question. Obviously, this is not for bear stoppage....so a fairly lightweight, accurate, stainless steel handgun would seem practical. My suggestion would be a Ruger Mark series .22 semi-auto in SS, or a S&W Model 617. No matter what you choose for your handgun, consider a “chest carry” ( tanker style) holster.....you will quickly learn to love it. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024