Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Responses clearly show the best choice depends on what threat you might encounter, with the biggest being a griz of some flavor, and perhaps the most dangerous being a man intending harm. Seems a crazy fishing endeavor, or at least a shame, where truly dangerous people must be considered, but it is what it is.

I'd take plinking out of the equation. YMMV, but if I'm fishing, I'm fishing. But if small game is a consideration, then plinking of a sort is back on the table.

If snakes are the only consideration, then a question is are you shooting at any "bad" snakes you see, or only those that somehow wind up too close for comfort. If the latter, I'd seriously consider a shot load of some kind.

If not fishing, but hunting, then is your primary a rifle or shotgun, how big, yada, yada, yada.

Edit to add: The OP was too broad a question, but perhaps he was looking for things to consider in addition to guns to consider.

After thinking about this, I'd like to amend it a bit. Whatever else you have loaded, if there is a good chance of a bad snake surprising you too close for comfort, perhaps the first shot or two should be a shot load. After those, then the next most likely threat will determine.
Based on recent responses, I guess the combination of rural areas and meth have changed things compared to the past. I wonder if moonshiners were/are a bit easier to get along with? blush

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"