Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I agree with seattlesetters. I thought SST's were too soft for years because the early ones were.

But two falls ago several other people and I used .308 factory loads with 150-grain SST's to take 30 deer and pigs in Texas. The bucks and boars ran up to 200 pounds (actually weighed, not guesstimated) and ALL the bullets exited, despite the maximum range being around 150 yards on any of the shots. This included the biggest buck, taken with a quartering-on shot, and the biggest boar, take with a shot through both shoulders. And kills were quick.

I would have expected to recover at least a few bullets using 150 Ballistics Tips under the same circumstances--or 150-grain Interlock Spire Points, for that matter. But Hornady has adjusted them, like Nosler did when the first Ballistic Tips proved to be too soft.

Did they improve them across the board or just some of them ? I'm looking at the 6.5 123gr SST for a Grendel and the reviews are all over the map, from "explosive fragmentation on entry" to "reliably exits".