I picked up a box of the 140 grain Ballistic Tips this morning and see that the mv is listed about 200 fps slower than the 139 grain Superformance SST's. All things being equal with less velocity, penetration should be more than with the SST's and maybe recoil a pound or two less. If I want to hot rod that 7mm-08 with a Superformance load, I might as well use my 7 RM. I've read that a lot of you guys have had good things to say about the BT's and never a discouraging word which hasn't always been the case with the SST's. Right or wrong I equate the distance that a deer runs or doesn't run after the shot with the lethality of the bullet. I don't shoot shoulders or cns normally so I haven't had drt heart lung experiences, but if a deer runs 70 or 100 yards before going down, that isn't as good as one that drops at half that distance.

Mathman, true enough about the battered tip on a lead head Interlock probably not making any difference at the distance that I shoot, but that deer still ran 50 yards and if there is something out there that would open even faster with a plastic tip, I'm going to give it a try. Deer are only 12" wide through the brisket. Hornady does put that 139 grain Interlock into their whitetail series, so to be sure they work pretty well. My last rifle deer was at 20 yards and the one before that 65. Post rut hunting here in November and the big guys are hanging out in the cover.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory