Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Originally Posted by 7point62magnum
I do plan to try the 120 BT in my sons 7mm-08. I will report back when he gets one!

That’s my favorite deer bullet for the 7-08. You’ll dig it if the rifle likes them.

And just to muddy the water.......I'm opting off the .284 120gr BT for my wife's A-Bolt Micro in 7-08. As a counter balance to the routine reporting on this little missile, our sample of one whitetail buck got a big negative on the support scale. Loading the 20" barreled rifle nearer minimum than maximum (don't recall the exact weight of RL15 but can check if required) certainly gave a mild velocity according to our shoulder reports. The bullet engaged at about 60 yards and destroyed the neck spine a couple or few inches ahead of the left shoulder. Should have ended up in the right shoulder or lung but did indeed "grenade" on the spine. We butcher our own game so the end result was personally observed. There was a cavity approximately 2 to 3 inches in diameter where the spine used to be. Bone chips, lead & copper fragments, and shredded venison was all that remained. Total depth of penetration was probably around 5 to 6 inches.

Don't know how others have fared with bone hits but that's my report and I'm sticking to it. So all things ain't always equal. This year I'll continue with the 120 BT in a Model 7 stainless with a max load of Varget, but my wife will be shooting the 139 SST with a low end powder charge. Still interested in seeing first hand a broadside shot with the 120 but will take on the challenge myself and provide her with a more comfortable bullet weight in a frame that should certainly hold together at decreased velocity. eom

At last count, seven tags filled with the 120 NBT from the 7mm-08. Seven complete pass-throughs and several broken shoulders along the way.

Four bucks, two doe and a cow elk. All one shot with minimal tracking (under 100 yards to DRT). Distances from 30 to just under 287 yards.

One instance of a hard hit spine stopping a bullet wouldn't put me off. On this very site I've read various comments about bullets you'd never suspect having trouble with direct spine hits.