Maybe this has been addressed here and I've missed it, but I have a question regarding obtainable velocities using 140 gr. bullets in these two cartridges.

From my research, it seems that SAAMI max pressure for the 264 is 64,000 psi and for the 7mm the max is 61,000 psi.

I was also under the impression (maybe I'm wrong here?) that the cases for these two are very similar. I believe MD even wrote in one of his articles on the 264 that he used some 7mm mag brass he had and resized them to use in the 264, so I can't think that the case capacity between the two is significant.

Therefore, my question: Why do in all of the reloading manuals I have and what I can find from the bullet and powder manufacturers online all say that maximum obtainable velocities for the 264 fall below those for the 7mm?

I've got an older Nosler manual (maybe 6-8 years old now) and Brian Pearce wrote the intro to the 264 mag section. In the intro, he says that obtaining 3200 fps is doable with a 140 gr. bullet. But then the load data shows max. velocity of only around 3000 fps and most powders listed are lucky to get to 2900. Why is this?

In other words, how come I can't get equal velocity in the 264 that I can get with the 7mm?

By the way, I own rifles and load for both of these cartridges, but just kind of realized this last night as I was loading for the 264.