Originally Posted by Calhoun
I would guess they prototyped on something other than 900,000 guns. But did they use normal 700,000 series guns.?
No. What I am suggesting is that a longer magazine rifle was in house and being designed/developed and simply numbered sequentially. But an R&D number makes much better sense. Ultimately they decided to start with 900k.

The 700,000 serial numbers ended in the 780,000's, and we know a lot were produced in 300/250-3000 while the 243/308/358's were being made. So it's possible this was a prototype 243/308/358 receiver, but unknowable from what we see.
Or just some overlap before Savage woke up and decided differentiate the major design change.

PS: Nobody has asked why a gun with initials on it was in the R&D collection. I'm not quite sure how I understand that happening either. New owner dies before taking possession?
Eh? May have been a known good new generation receiver within R&D they decided to build up afterwards, for internal customer? And, WTH was a master engraver doing in the R&D shop?!

"Every day above ground is a good day."