I started with iron sights in 1964 the 1st time I used a scope on deer was 1978 or 79, got a nice 8 point but it was so easy it took all the fun of hunting away for me. It may just be me, but taking every advantage in the hunt away lessens the experience of hunting. It seems today a scope is a necessity . If I was a meat hunter I would use a scope but as a sport hunter I can't bring myself to use a scope on something as large as a deer. Even small deer are a big target. In the back of their minds I think a lot of hunter know what I mean. When asked why they use a scope it almost always is an excuse the top being "my eyes" then I may have a long shot or light conditions. Only once have I had someone say it is so much easier with a scope. Even on short range rifles 357,44mag,45-70 etc. big scopes are to common. Then there are the scopes on shotguns for turkey. Even with the tightest choked shotgun do you really need a scope. Same with scopes on crossbows. Won't be long before scopes on fishing poles will be common. (this has been my old man rant I don't really care if a scope is used or not)