I don't own a scoped rifle. I gave away my last one to a dear friend who did my wife and I a tremendous favor when she was battling cancer. As an aside, she won. Anyway, I'm 66 and with a couple cheats I can still shoot sub 1 inch groups at 50 yards if my rifle is capable. Go to 100 and I can still hover between 3 and 4 inches. One of the cheats is an aperture for my glasses and the other is to open up the rear sight notch to allow more light around the front sight. If you practice with them enough their use becomes as second nature as a scope. Sight them in for a 6 o'clock hold at 100 yards and the front sight doesn't cover anything. All that an as another poster mentioned, pull the scope off a rifle and it changes its complexion, ie handling and carrying, immensely.

I do prefer aperture sights but I'm not drilling and tapping any of my rifles although some did come with some nice Lyman and Redfield aperture sights. They darn sure aren't getting a scope with those sights on them.

I'm about 26 years older than you and I hunt with irons as a matter of choice, something like tmitch alluded to. Go for it, I can't imagine you'll regret it.

Last edited by sharps4590; 09/20/19.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing