Originally Posted by LJB
That said, there are a few little things I'd check out to be certain I got a good value. First, make up 5 dummy rounds and make sure it feeds/ejects properly. More than likely it will, but I've seen a few that don't.
The factory extractors have been "lazy" on the ones I've had; i.e., they don't pick up the rounds well or eject worth a damn with some brass. Just swap out the extractor with a Williams and be done with it.

Originally Posted by LJB
Second, get a set of Talley Light Weight rings and mount a scope to see if the scope mount holes on the front/rear bridge are straight. Mose are, but it's good to know what you've got.
Fairy tale. The holes are drilled simultaneously with a jig that places them on the same axis. What DOES happen is the barrels are sometimes not threaded into the receiver squarely; this can cause problems, but can be remedied by a competent gunsmith.

Originally Posted by LJB
Third, and depending on how far you want to go, I'd replace the extractor with an aftermarket version. I haven't looked lately, but these may be hard to find.
They are not. Brownell's no longer lists them, but they can be purchased directly from Williams.

Originally Posted by LJB
I hope you got a good one.
He did. The stainless versions were offered for one year only -- 1997 -- and Winchester/USRAC was trying to make a big splash with the lefties and quality and wood selection was very good. Things didn't start getting sloppy until the second run in 2001 and even those aren't bad rifles.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.