Originally Posted by Shag
Looking for the best winter truck tire a guy can get. Will be hunting Idaho and driving back and fourth over White Pass Wa. Gotta grab on snow and ice! Will need to haul a 26’ trailer at some point. 3/4 Chevy. Thanks for any advice!

Blizzak is the best winter tire I've ever used on a truck. Years ago in the gas truck I could get up my fairly steep snow/ice covered driveway in 2WD better than in 4WD with other tires. But they're soft and wear quckly driving them in non-winter conditions and I doubt you'd want to tow with them. I have 2 trucks, a Duramax and the old '94 light duty 3/4 gas truck. Both 4WD. The 7,000 lb diesel has limited slip and wears Duratrac tires, the 5,000lb gas truck has open dif and Kelly Edge tires. In winter getting up to my shop behind the house, when the snow's deeper than about 6 or 7" the Duramax with Duratracs won't make it, the lighter gas truck with Kelly tires will go through that stuff. I've been disappointed with the snow performance of the Duatrac, but they're very good on the road and other offroad stuff. However when the snow starts getting deeper they're not so good.