Originally Posted by alpinecrick

. . . So happened I bought extra standard diameter mandrels in 270. While waiting for undersize mandrels to arrive I sanded down one of the spare 270 mandrels. More than I intended........ended up at .2727 according to my mic. What the heck, I'll give it a try. I was already making straight ammo with my old method, but the tight necks (which I like for a hunting round anyway) produced more velocity and better accuracy.

Every single LCD die I've bought has had too little bullet tension for my taste, and like you, some moved just with finger pressure.

I'm going to be going thru the same exercise with a .270 Gay LCD here shortly. As you probably know, that .2727" diameter mandrel won't give .004" of neck tension due to the brass springback after you release the radial force on the collet. Did you actually measure the neck tension that it gave you?

When I start sanding one down (mandrel chucked in an electric drill and using sandpaper) I'm constantly checking the neck tension, looking for 0.003 - 0.035" (or so) of neck tension. I'm curious about other folks approach to this.