Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I think zeiss is hanging their hat on the old school german image. If you look at their site you see guys in europe with olive drab wool hats on chasing stag or something. This image isn't selling the younger crowd. I also think zeiss products use a cheap looking paint sheen on many of their products and generally need to figure out a way to snazz up their optics to the consumer.

Cheap looking paint? LOL. I see more Zeiss and Swarovski optics in most gun stores then I see S&B for example. They cater to a relatively small market. They don't need to snazz up anything to sell their stuff.

Who cares what the younger crowd wants?

Leupold could have done something with the Redfield brand, they chose to minimally market it. They are not doing such a hot job marketing and designing their US made scopes.

S&B is never and probably will never been in any major store around me. IMO they have a funky product line that is difficult to understand. I think they badly need to just simplify things. its pretty clear they don't really care about the american market and being a larger company. Maybe they are happy overcharging and getting insane prices for scopes. I am still struggling to be convinced why their optics are 50% more money than nightforce.

YES many zeiss products look plain and cheap. I recently looked at some of their new RF binoculars. They are the best on the market. The paint on the bridges had orange peel and they had the exterior look of something put together in china. They don't look like high end units in many cases. Swaro on the other hand, They have always looked very high end with their rubber armoring. Maybe changing their colors from black would help a ton.