Beef Stew,

1 lb - 2 lb stewing beef or beef roast cut into 1/2" cubes .

2 or 3 medium diced onions

Brown meat in oil, salt and pepper , add 3-4 cups water and onions you want to generously cover the meat.

Simmer for 2-3 hours, tasting often, adjust seasoning , add water if necessary

After this period of time add diced potatoes, carrots, turnip etc; and any of other favorite roor vegetables.

I usually add a clove or 2 of crushed garlic, you do not want the garlic to be the star of the dish, and sometimes chopped mushrooms.

Add water if required and continue to cook til vegetables are starting to become tender.

Add 1/'2 cup or so of frozen peas , and water bring to rolling boil

You need to ensure you have enough liquid at this point

Now drop spoonfuls of the sticky tea biscuits across the top of the stew.

Cover and leave boiling for a timed 20 minutes

DO NOT OPEN THE LID AND CHECK, this will cause the dumplings to fall and become hard lumps.

The dumplings will thicken the stew as the cook.

There are never any dumplings left for the next day , so we normally make tea biscuits to have with the leftover stew.

The recipe is from the Five Roses Cookbook my wife has had for 50 years. This is the basis for the dumplings, same recipe except additional milk the dumpling dough should be very sticky

Tea Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening (I always use butter or margarine)
1 cup milk

Mix together flour, baking powder, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening (or butter) with two knives or a pastry blender, until mixture is the consistency of course cornmeal. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; add liquid slowly. When all the liquid has been added, stir the dough rather vigorously until it comes freely from the side of the bowl. Turn dough onto lightly floured board and knead lightly for a FEW MINUTES. Roll or pat out to desired thickness- about 1/2-inch. Cut dough with 2-inch floured biscuit cutter and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a hot oven (450 degrees Fahrenheit) for 12-15 minutes

F