Its been 20yrs since I used a 300WM extensively, so this was my experience...The Ballistic Tip ( mid 90s) was still soft then, and I started out with the 180. It really "tore up" a dainty antelope doe ( 347 steps) and a mule deer 3x3 ( 75yds) I went straight to the 180 XBT ( pre TSX for you Millennials :)) and it solved the problem! I later tried a 300 RUM ( had to make brass from Lazzeroni cases, no RUM s were available then, too early.) I also tried some "boutique", hand made 150 "bonded" ballistic tipped looking, moly coated bullets. I had those puppies screaming! ha It shot flat, yes sir, but I ended up shooting another muley about 60yds away. Wow! What a mess. I went back to the 300WM and when I had an opportunity to shoot Hill Country deer, I bought some Federal Blue Box (said on the box they were Sierra 150 Pro Hunters) figured they would open up quick in those small deer. They acted like Partitions! So, I learned that, in my limited experience, in a magnum anything, if I didn't want a mess on game, I shot Barnes or Partitions. Some Sierra Pro Hunters on smaller game, I'm OK with. Since I love to handload/experiment with loads, I always try to find a reduced velocity "deer load" in any magnum. Sometimes I get lucky, most of the time I don't! This 300 Mesa likes the Hornady 150 SST about 2750fps, solid 1" for 3 shots but "in my same zero". I'm not one of those that change loads on a hunt. I set out with what I want to use on that animal or location. I won't change my "main load zero", so any reduced load/or heavy bullet load has to shoot to same zero. Lots of fun for me anyhow, ha.