Originally Posted by shootem
My comments were not in jest or derogotory. A skinny az 2 wheeler stands no chance against the 2 ton and more 4 wheeler driven by a distracted, obnoxious, or aggressive pilot. Literally, ride the asphalt if that is your desire but take your chances without complaint when confronted by those described. They are there. Waiting. Some interaction unintentional but some quite intentional. The dimensional separation between life and death is measured in inches and right of way is of no benefit in the final measure. In my area of existence bike lanes are common and I for one make way for the spandex brigade. Speaking only for myself and definitely not for skinny wheeled bikers I value life more than a share of a congested 4 lane. Ride where you wish with my blessing if at all relevant. But when fate meets opportunity and the flat spot on the asphat is you none of this will matter in the least.

The rule of gross tonnage again. Are we consistent with the way we apply it?

When you read the comments following an auto vs pedestrian crash news article, do people celebrate the death of the pedestrian and aggressively assert pedestrians don't belong on the road with 2 ton vehicles? You know, about 5 times as many pedestrians are killed each year than cyclists.

When you read the comments following an auto vs motorcycle crash news article, do people celebrate the death of the motorcyclist and aggressively assert motorcyclists don't belong on the road with 2 ton vehicles? Motorcyclist have the same vulnerability as cyclists with much more speed added to the impact.

When you read the comments following a tractor trailer vs passenger car crash news article, do people celebrate the death of the motorist and aggressively assert passenger cars don't belong on the road with 20 ton vehicles? Tractor trailer owners pay FAR more taxes.

A few days ago I was driving my wife's little car. A great big 4WD pick up drifted over into my lane. The rule of gross tonnage says I shouldn't have been there just like it does when a motorist drifts into the bicycle lane.

We are consistent in our thoughts about gross tonnage, right?