As for *any* stainless steel S&W "magnum" revolver,...I'll pass on them. I shot a 686 extensively back when they first came out. Magnum S&W .357's are particularly susceptible to gas cutting of the topstrap. The .44 mags don't have any gas cutting problems and the .38's don't because they don't generate enough heat and pressure.

If you're somebody that fires 50 rounds a year, you won't have any problem. But if you handload and burn 3 or 400 rounds a week,...you're going to see a lot of gas cutting on S&W .stainless revolvers. The carbon steel .357 mag S&W's gas cut also. But the stainless S&W revolvers gas cut very badly.

The Security Six .357 revolvers don't seem to gas cut at all,....but extensive shooting of them will burn the forcing cone.

My opinion is,...it's got to do with the diameter of the cylinder's chambers.

The Rugers are cut generously and allow gas to escape out around the circumference of the bullet,...which will eventually burn the forcing cone of the barrel. The S&W's are tight,...which contains the gases from the shot until the bullet leaves the cylinder,...but allows it to escape in a thin, hot, high pressure sheet of hot gas as the bullet leaves the cylinder,..burning the top strap.

It's the big reason I stopped messing with S&W .357's and went to Rugers.

I really like my K-frame .38's, however.