Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Yeah, but the heck of it is, 70 grains of 2f and a patched round ball puts the big hurt on them inside of 100 yards with NO recoil. You just can't reach them as far with the light load, but it kills them just as dead.

So true Sharpsguy! 70 of FFFG. Is generally my magical load in all my .50’s. Heck I have even been known, on occasions , to shoot it in .54’s and .62’s. In my fusils, all 20 bore, it works well with shot and ball and has accounted for numerous pigs and deer. I can’t see well past 100, wait reality check, past 70 yards to honestly make an ethical shot. So 70, or even 75, works well for me.

The last pig I shot was like 15 yards from me. 😁

I shoot 70 grains of FF in my .54 with a PRB, works okay.

Still looking for that DRT result on deer that I think I should get at least once in a while.

Do you guys try to break bone with these PRB on deer or just go for a double lung hit?

I have shot maybe a half a dozen deer with my 54 and while it kills them they still seem to go 50-75 yards.

Should I jump my 70 grain load up to 85-90 grains for more velocity which in turn yields more energy?

My 1:66 shoots good at 85-87 grains I just like the non-existent recoil of 70 grains.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/31/19.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!