Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Originally Posted by Tyrone
How many guys wait 48 hrs to check trap? I always checked at least 1x per day.

Depends on the number of traps, the distance one has to travel to reach their lines, and whether one has another job that actually pays the bills. Those who ran a handful of traps close to home often checked them daily but there are many who aren't able to do so.

At times I regularly went near 48 hours between checks due to my previous job being a 24 hour shift so was able to check only every other day when scheduled to work. Others I knew ran lines after work and had limited time to do so due to distance from home and/or other commitments. A few that trapped near full time ran very long strings in order to make it pay and did half each day.

In some places it may draw unwanted attention to check traps too often. Either curious do gooders or trap thrives may spot you and steal your traps. That is a serious problem in some areas and the more often one is seen going into an area, the greater the likelihood of a problem. When it happens the area is pretty much blown for future trapping.

I hear what you are saying.

But checking traps once a day results in less lost animals, and less encounters with the public that trappers don't need or want.

If you can't check them once a day, then you probably don't need to be trapping, or need to shorten your lines/area.

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~