ConradCa, I tried to reply earlier but got sidetracked. We don't know if the shah or khomieni is better or worse or how many Iranis prefer one over the other, unless you have better info than I. I can tell you this, Sgt. McKeel told me that when his captors saw Americans anger thay were shocked at the reaction because it was only 52 people. They expected to get invaded and treated the captives nicer for a while. When they saw it wouldn't happen they became more cruel for a while. That lends some creedence to not just carry a big stick but use it.
Maybe Saddam thought the same thing, who knows? I am not smart enough to know if more diplomacy would have helped or not, but our President/shah/king/ayotollah has sent our best young citizens to war, and I for one will not give the enemy any aid or comfort. If we don't like our king we can vote him out. Iam a descenant of men who didn't believe in kings, they fought the british army for freedom. I don't believe in kings either, Barak I'm with you.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.