Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Originally Posted by Gus
it was good to hear that the rem hp's worked well. i haven't shot any of those. but find the 150 & 170 rem CL most suitable.

back in the day i acquired a marlin 30-30 and it came with some half box or so of winchester 150? grain hollowpoints.

shot a little 5 point e. whitetail in a honeysuckle patch. he jumped across the branch, and i shot again.

got to the house, and the copper casings were stuck in the on side hide. the lead cores penetrated.

they worked, but that second shot was probably necessary. now i'm a rem CL fan in 170.

I bought a box of the Win 150 gr hollow points but never tried them on game. I had heard there were some issues with the jacket and core separating long after I tried that box.

When I started with the 30/30 I preferred 150 gr bullets but have gravitated to 170s for the most part. I do have a bunch of 130 gr bullets loaded up for the grandkids to shoot but they lean towards something else when it comes time to actually hunt. It is curious that I went the other way with the 30 Remington, the first loads were 170 gr but I now load 150 gr more often.

that's exactly what happened in my instance with the winchester hollow points. the jacket completely peeled away from the core.

i'd like to try some of the new-fangled 30-30 ammo, just haven't done so. my uncle was a big believer in the win silvertips back in the day.

i don't even know if they still sell those or not.
Silvertips were my favorite so naturally the brain trust at Olin discontinued them some years ago.