This past week I took a big 8 point whitetail at 320 yards with my Jarrett 280AI using 168 grain Berger VLD's, as this rifle really shines with this bullet. I've used VLD's here and there for a few years. In each instance prior to this, the VLD's virtually disintegrated after impact with nothing left to find. Not this time. This was a quartering away shot that I slipped the bullet behind the last rib on the left side, with the bullet traversing through the vitals coming to rest under the hide after penetrating the right shoulder. I'm thinking this bullet was convinced it was a Nosler Accubond or something of the sort. It retained right at half its weight and acted for the world like it was bonded.

Five or so years ago I had a similar sized 8 point buck at, again, 320 yards, that I shot with this rifle and the same load, only it was broadside. My shot was dead through the heart in that relatively narrow portion of the lower chest. I am guessing that may have been 6"or so wide at that point? The VLD never exited, only an entrance wound and a heart blown to smithereens. In my case, that is the norm with this bullet.

Both bucks were quite dead but I couldn't get over this VLD's ability to hold together this last time.....sometimes that happens.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.