Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Godogs,

One of the "problems" with Bergers (as I have pointed out many times here, and in print, since 2007, when I first got to field-test them extensively) is that they don't act like the conventional idea of expanding bullet performance most hunters have been indoctrinated with for the last several decades--which generally involves weight-retention, penetration, "perfect mushrooms", etc. The fact that they penetrate at least 2-3" before "grenading" is thus often lost on many hunters.

But if the impact velocity is low enough--and the bullet doesn't hit, say, even a rib--Bergers can indeed end up looking like conventional expanding bullets. This tends to happen more at longer ranges. Whether or not it matters is another question.

I have shot most of the VLD’s from 80gr 22cal to 300gr 338cal and agree with you with one exception, I have a lot (lot#1393) of 30cal 210gr VLD’s that will grenade on impact at any range or velocity from my 300WM up to 1300yards......want to try some??? I still have several hundred