Several years ago, after reading of success with VLD's, I decided to give the Bergers a try from my 25-06, and came away very impressed!

Loaded the 115's up to a faster-than-expected mv of 3190 fps via Retumbo. Shot nice tight groups with them. Zeroed the 6x Leupold at 300 yards and went hunting. Three mule deer, four shots over two years. First mule deer was hit on the spine, and needed a finishing shot when I got to him.

I shot one young mule deer buck at about 175 yards, through the shoulder blade. Instant collapse & death. Recovered the spent bullet just under the hide on the other side, it had gone through BOTH scapula, and also destroyed the lungs. Wow! Danged thing was mushroomed, but more of a pancake look to it than shown here. I carefully set it on a rock, to take with me after I quartered up the deer for the pack out.

Oooops. Left it there. Sigh. The other Bergers I recovered looked like a varmint bullet - not much left - I think one weighed 33 grains after starting at 115. Still, all the deer died, and quickly!

Perhaps I'll give those VLD's another try one of these days. It's been a while since I hunted with them, still have a few boxes sitting around.

Guy