Worry about fit, it is a factor in how you feel recoil. The worse the gun fit, the worse the gun will seem to recoil and the poorer one will shoot it. Don't be afraid to have the stock altered so you can shoot it better.

My take on the 12 ga Red Label is they had a period where there were an inordinate number of problems. That seemed to be in the mid to late-1990s based on the guns I saw at my club. Unfortunately, this was also the heydays for the Red Label which prevented it from becoming a player in the O/U market. Problems with light or non-strikes of primers, double firing, and poor lock up seemed to be most common. The guns were sent back to Ruger but Ruger did not seem to be as thorough with these guns as their pistols as some problems returned or another problem cropped up.

I feel Ruger blew it with the stocks too, it seemed a little lower in the comb and more pitch than most other shotguns which did not fit the typical shooter. Something closer to the norm might have quelled the complaints regarding recoil but those coupled with mechanical problems and lackluster service doomed this model.

My main concern with this gun today is a lack of support as Ruger no longer works on this model. Who does and what is available for parts is unknown to me. With the problems I've seen I would pass on this gun. The original blued 20 ga model would be a different matter...