Originally Posted by jmd025
Taking a guess that this is Louisiana , 80% of the state is privately owned . With the exception of a few meager refuges , hunting is pay to play and has been for a very long time .

I thought maybe something like that.

We're lucky here (Oregon, but most of the west is the same) to have a great deal of public land managed by BLM, USFS, state forestry, and others which are open to public access.

Some of the very large timber companies are starting to charge for access to land which used to be open to the public as well. Frankly, I think we need to reconsider the breaks we gave those companies .. property tax, corporate income tax, zoning to minimize expense to them .. if they are not going to play nice with the people who are subsidizing them by paying higher taxes to offset what they are not paying for but consume .. law enforcement, firefighting, etc. They are would not like it at all if they have to pay the actual market value of the services they consume in the way they are expecting the public to pay for access we wish to "consume."

This is the biggest single reason I oppose sell-off / privatization of public lands. It forces a caste system where we should have none.

Thanks for the replies, gents. I'll step out and stop dragging things off topic.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...