Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by jkingrph
If i could get one of those at a reasonable price and in excellent condition, I would jump on it. Now I have built 3 AR types in 6.5 Grendel and finally last year got my hands on a pretty little CZ 527 American in 6.5 Grendel. I started early in the 6.5 Grendel game, when brass was expensive and hard to find so got a large quantiy of IMI 7.62x39 brass and sized it all down in 6.5 Grendel dies to be fireformed, which is easy and straightforward with that little cartridge.

It's probably the mildest shooting caliber I have, recoil even in the lightweight CZ is much less than a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.

I think the appearance of the 6.5 Creedmoor, and many younger shooters not wanting a used rifle, has caused these rifles to sit. They have been on Tradeex's shelves for a long time. Recoil of these reworked M96s, scoped, is about 12 ft/lb. Quite mild. I had a few of the M96s years ago, but never got around to fixing them up, and sold them off. With so many rifles in the $225 to $300 range, it would probably be foolish to bother with a Grendel or a Creedmoor.

Could be, I have pretty well stopped shooting the AR types and stick with the CZ in 6.5 Grendel. I have accumulated six or seven of the 96 Swedes and all are fantastic shooters, I got lucky when I came across one at a gun show, I did not know what it was and I don't think the dealer did either. It was actually a M38, a 1900 year model, made by Mauser Obendorf, with a two digit serial number, all parts matching. After some reading and posting on the Swedish Military rifle forum I learned it was one of a special run of 5000 made in 1900 by Mauser. I recently put a little Leupold scout scope one using a BadAce scout scope mount that replaces the rear sight, a fantastic product out of Canada. I had previously tried a B Square mount and could not get the scope even roughly bore sighted. The BadAce tactical worked fine and allows the use of standard Pictnanny type scope rings.