Originally Posted by l
Ice augers can be handled by one person tho 2 isn't too many - even through 5 or 6 feet of ice. It is interesting because it bites well until the last 6 inches or so, where the sea ice has more salt content and is more plastic. One definately can feel when it's about to break through. Me - I didn't have an auger, but I borrowed one from someone out there sometimes- usually they would even drill a hole for me. Most times, I just used a used hole - look for the bloodiest one...

Two people on a 10 inch auger? have never seen that, always drill where there's snow stuck to the ice even when wearing cleats. If you try that on glare ice get a dufus look on your face, smile bigly and wave 'cus someone will whip out a phone and video you spinning around the stationary auger.

We get that grab before busting through. When you feel it start to grab raise it up a few inches, let the RPMs build, and plunk it back down while holding tight. Or sharpen the blades. Drilling holes is fun. I'll Swiss cheese an area over structure and move until I find the right depth.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.