Sitka and Alpine get it. And I didn't mean to come off all for cut and run policy. NOBODY knows everything about harvesting timber, fish, or animals. Unfortunately we learn by our mistakes. And some bad mistakes were made. I worked for Thorne Bay Logging, in SE back in the day, and we daily drove through clear cuts made in the '40's (spruce for aircraft?) and they were thick with reprod, recovering nicely. But who knows what damage we did to the salmon. Maybe it couldn't get any worse than the plunder of the salmon in the 1890's-1900's. As far as the Sitka Blacktail, I guess they predominantly feed in reprod, but they need old growth for hard winter survival, so you might surmise that a light checkerboard or strip clearcutting is the best of both worlds. Hopefully they have quit logging in the Chugach, smarter people than I (that ain't hard to find) finally figured it wasn't reproducing. In the early 70's I've seen the huge dock at Haines loaded with export cants, 30 acres?, stacked as high as a big forklift could reach. That can't be sustained.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.