Originally Posted by erich
Or do it like it should have been done in the first place, the 5.6x50R Magnum a .224 cartridge designed for a break action rifle.

It works well, sorry this only has one shotgun barrel.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I toyed with the idea of suggesting that, but I thought it might overcomplicate things. I have a single shot in that chambering, and I do like it quite a lot. Here in Oz I can get S&B and RWS factory ammunition, and RWS brass.It has worked well for me on game up to feral pigs, even with the S&B 50 gn SP factory load, and a bloke I know has dropped a number of fallow deer with his, using 63 gn Sierras.

You'd easily tell the ammunition apart from your .223 of course, especially as it has a rim. The same would apply to another option which would need no more than modifying the extractor, and that is our .222 Rimmed. Brass for the latter might be a bit hard to get in the US, though I believe it can be had. It would be easy enough to resize and trim RWS 5.6x50R brass to suit too.

Alternatively, you could just pay attention to segregating your ammunition, and use the gun as-is.