Not sure if they stay round or not, but they sure are effective! Was on a pig hunt years ago using my 54 cal Hawken rifle. Guys made fun of it until they saw how effective a round ball is. Shot a big pig running straight away from me, at about 60 yards or so, and only offered the ol Texas heart shot. At the shot, it kinda ran in place for a second and then continued for about 30 yards and piled up. There was a 54 caliber hole just left of center and I followed the "hole" all the way to the ball. The pig was about 4 feet long, tail to snout, and the ball went through the lower cavity, chest cavity, left shoulder blade, neck and ended up in the skull. Penetration?! I'd say so! My load is 90 grains of Goex FFg, wonder wad and a .530" - 230 grain Hornady round ball nestled into a .015" lubed patch. I've successfully used this load for years on many different species. My rifle is an old, late 70's, CVA Hawken kit gun I put together. It has a 28", 1:48 percussion barrel and round balls are all I've ever used in it. Still use it to this day, truly enjoy it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member