Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I think, from what I’ve learned, accuracy shooters historically didn’t want to twist bullets faster than necessary. Seems twisting fast can magnify bullet defects. Bullets today are pretty good and I’m not sure that idea is as prevalent as back in the day, although you sometimes see specialized target barrels with ROT tweaked for a certain bullet.

Faster twist gives more options and I would go faster than factory. 222 may not be a round I’d choose for heavies, but fast twist also does well with conventional bullets. I’d choose an 8 twist over a 12 or 14. I’ve never wished a rifle had slower twist.

DF

^^^^^^ this. Most group shooters have as slow a twist as they can get away with. I haven’t seen or heard of a fast twist 6ppc or deuce at a group shoot in years. 6ppc usually 13-15 twist and 30BR 14-17 twist as below.

https://kriegerbarrels.com/smallestgroup

Scroll down for equipment and notice the super fast twist at 1 in 17.

On June 8th, 2013, Michael Stinnett shot a new world record, surpassing a group that held the record for 40 years. 5 shots were fired at a distance of 100 yards. This record was shot at the North Texas Shooters Association NBRSA match in Denton, TX. That 5 shots were fired was verified by use of a moving backer, and the .0077 IN group size was an average of the measurements from multiple judges.

Swifty