The rifle came from CA a few weeks ago. The salt air of Alaska is not the issue. I know nothing of the history other than I think it's been shot a lot. Here are some bore pics. One of the things I am going to check next trip to the range is the scope with a single vision prescription. I shot with my trifocals last time and had a terrible time keeping the target in focus. I had focused the scope, it was cold out and I was not letting the barrel get hot at all. But with both the Leupold 36 and a Weaver 36 I played hell trying to keep my vision focused. I had no trouble with my 6x scopes on a couple other guns but when I jumped up to 36x found I was was constantly fighting finding a focal sweet spot. I have a single vision prescription for my shooting glasses and will try that before I completely condemn the barrel. I just didn't have them with me that day. Seems I cannot go to the range without forgetting something. I still think the barrel is rough based on the photos below. These were with a Lyman bore scope.

Throat area
[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

various shots throughout the barrel

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.