Originally Posted by 405wcf
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
My nephew came to hunt with me last weekend. On Saturday 11:45am he shot a nice little 6 point.
His first buck. It was a great time helping him get his deer. I enjoyed it as much as shooting one myself.
He used my 450 RAR and Hornady 250gr. Flex-Tip.
The bullet performance was less than good.
It entered the left shoulder and turned 90* down, exiting between the brisket and the foreleg.
250-300 yard tracking job found him unable to get up with his antlers entangled in an autumn olive bush.
There's an educated doe on my place that needs to die.
She's going to be my target in Muzzleloader/second rifle season, 12-6 through 22.

Mark,
That 250 gr FTX is the worst bullet I have ever used! I had the same thing happen 2 years ago, a 90 degree turn. Turning, poor penetration, jacket and core separating...ugh! My daughters use the RAR in 450 and I load the 200 gr Barnes down to about 2250 fps. It i2 or 3" high at 100 and 4" low at 200. Bullet performance is excellent. Both my dad and a daughter successfully used the set up this year. Unfortunately my Raptor hates this bullet!

You know that you can use your 450 during the muzzleloading season on your Jackson Co property?

405wcf

Thankfully, yes I'll be using my 450 in the muzzleloader season. I've ordered both 200gr. and 275gr. XPB's from Barnes to reload for it. I won't have enough time to load anything up before the muzzleloader season and the factory ammo is going to be used to kill an educated doe. I'll just make sure it's a lung shot.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!