ren,

one of my all time favorite things is watching dogs (animals in general?) do what they were bred to do.

Cattle and sheep dogs working stock are amazing to see in real life. Dog's like Ingwe's doing "police" work, a bird dog ranging and locking on to a bird, and a retriever following whistles and hand signals on a blind retrieve are a joy to behold. One of my barge trips on my old job, cruising down the river, look over and see a flock of goats contracted to keep the brush down. Two big ol' Pyreneese or Anatolians guarding the flock. Just doin' they job sir!

But sighthounds running full out, it's like watching thoroughbreds on the Belmont track. When they're full out after the lure with other dogs in the hunt is fun, but the real joy is watching them when they get after a rabbit or squirrel. Or in the case of greyhounds and other large sighthounds, bigger game.

I'd not like to be a bunny in an open field in front of him:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

He takes awhile to turn though:

That why you run them in packs, the little whippets turn faster but don't get the speed he does:

If Breeze had a better recall I'd get after some jackrabbits around here with him. He's likely to just take off and follow them until he crosses a deer or coyote track, then he'll be long gone.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?