I have the 6-round neoprene Uncle Mikes version on three straight-combed Ruger M77 rifles. While they aren't beautiful, I don't mind them on "meat guns" and it is handy to grab a rifle from the safe and know it has 9-10 rounds attached. All of those rifles have magnum-weight barrels and Ruger rings, so they are already fairly heavy, and the extra weight of the shell-holder and ammo doesn't mess up balance. I also put the same style shell-holder on my .444 Handi and CVA .35 Whelen for Primitive Weapons season. They wear sturdy contour barrels also.

If I don't use the Uncle Mike's neoprene sleeve, I'll often use the foldable shell-wallet they make, and keep it in the front pocket of my backpack. When you're swapping between a dozen rifles in a season, it is nice to have a few where the ammo is all with the rifle and you don't have to verify you've got the right ammo wallet (or extra DBM) in your bag. There's been several times I've gotten into hogs and shot up 4-5 rounds in a few minutes, so I try to always take 9-10 rounds with me, plus a handgun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb