December 1st was the end of Wisconsin's 9 day gun season and the last three days were wet conditions to say the least. Weather forecast for Monday was a change to high pressure and sunshine. Made it to my stand near a bedding area 0 dark 100 and settled in for daylight to come. The guns were silent and there was nothing but the sound of water dripping from the trees as the sun warmed the woods.

3 doe moved thru, a coyote then a skunk and just as I bid farewell to it a buck came galloping out of the thicket the 3 doe had disappeared into. He slowed to a trot at about 60 yards out, stopped and made a half dozen jumps away from my position, then came straight towards me at a trot. When he cleared a couple trees about 30 yards I was at full draw. Meh ! Thunk ! Wait for it.. out of sight, snap, snap, crack, silence.

While doing the obligatory wait time the 3 doe came out of the thicket and went out of sight right on his trail. I messaged my hired man and told him to meet me in an hour. No problem following the blood trail and came up on him just over the hill. Whoa ! I did not notice he had some piebald in him. Never laid eyes on this buck on the farm before.

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

Check out the exit.
[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime