Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Originally Posted by MM879
Originally Posted by BenfromNY
Hi everyone, this is my first on the campfire so I'm hoping you've all got some great advice for me.

I'm considering paring down my gun collection (I know, I know), but hear me out.
First some background: I'm primarily a deer hunter (also some turkey) in upstate NY and I feel like there is a lot of redundancy in my current rifles. I hunt from a treestand mostly, but I've been getting into tracking, and other big woods hunting where long hikes, rough conditions, and snap shots are more the norm.

Now to the rifles:

Winchester 94 XTR top eject in 30-30 (1981 MFG), iron sights.

Remington 1903-a3 sporter in 30-06. M70 featherweight profile Douglas barrel, buehler safety, full length stock in figured claro walnut. Currently no optics.

Kimber Montana 308win, Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32

Tikka's T3 forest in 270, Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40

Tikka T3x lite stainless in 30-06, Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32

Shotguns (I know this is a rifle forum but some ares only allow slugs for deer hunting)

Remington 1100 12ga, 2 3/4", 21" rifle sight smooth bore and 28" VR
Beretta 686 White Onyx
Baikal 12ga single shot 30" full choke
HR partner pump 20ga compact

Would like to thin the herd a bit, already sold off a Remington 700 ADL beater.

Would also consider an overall reworking of the fleet if it mean the less guns total, and less money into them.

Thinking to sell the T3x 30-06 (keep scope) and the partner pump. Also sell the zeiss Conquest and replace with vx-3i 1.5-5x20 for the 1903-a3. Or I could go to express sights for the 1903. Considering selling the Tikka 270 also because for the ranges I hunt/shoot within 300-350yards, 150gr 308 is fine. I'm finding that the Kimber is a great all around gun. Very light, awesome glass, can't damage it. I like having a quality gun I can beat the [bleep] out of.

ALSO tempted to sell the 1100 and replace with a very lightweight pump or auto 20ga for deer. Beretta covers bird hunting.

Thanks!

It's hopeless. Your collection is perfect in my way of thinking. All of the firearm type have a purpose. You might want to add 5-6 handguns though!

This is the best advice. Every firearm I own was bought for a reason so I consider my self a minimalist. My next firearm will probably be bought because I have one more slot left in the safe.
Hey, it's a reason.
Then I'll buy another safe.

I'm serious. The OP's collection covers much of the ground that interest me. A nice light 30-30 lever for camp. A 1903 Springfield for a project. All of the guns the OP has was thought about.