Hello everyone. I’ve got an old worn out pre-64 model 70 featherweight that I’d like to breathe some new life into. It’s a 308 but as you are probably all mostly aware, the pre-64 actions are standard length action (long action) with exception of their magnum actions which this is not.

I’d like to rebarrel the action and put it in a good synthetic stock. I haven’t decided on the cartridge but am pretty sure I want a 6.5/264 caliber. The goal of the rifle is a flat shooting, medium game rifle. I want something that I can carry well, but not too light. I’m thinking scoped up around 7 pounds, maybe a little more. Ballistically I’d like to be in 264 WM/6.5 PRC/ 6.5-06 territory. Probably thinking bullets around 140 grains.

If it were you all, what cartridge would you choose? I’ve heard the 6.5-06 is a bit long for the model 70 unless you’re willing to compromise on bullets/OAL length. I figure the 264 would need a different bolt face/magazine arrangement, but I’m unsure on that. And I know the 6.5 PRC has a larger rim diameter. Just looking for some advice. I’d be interested in seeing what rifles y’all might have. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Jeff

PS-Yes I reload. Like idea of plentiful brass availability and avoiding expensive dies, but not a showstopper if expensive dies are required.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 12/06/19.