Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Whoever told you the 6.5-06 was a bad choice on a model 70 action is full of [bleep]. 6.5-06 will feed and function much better than a 6.5-284.

That’s what I thought when I read the OP.

I’m happy to hear the few of you who have mentioned this. I can’t remember whee I heard or read this, maybe here, but the concern that I heard was that the mag box of the model 70 won’t allow the heavier, longer bullets to be seated as far as we would like. I understand that Mag length and overall cartridge length will be a determining factor in how far to set the throat of the rifling, but I don’t want to eat up too much case volume setting bullets deeply in the case to make room in the magazine. I have no firsthand knowledge in this case, so I’m happy to go off of this groups’ collective wisdom and experience. A 6.5-06AI would be great, throwing 140ish grain bullets close to 3000fps. That would make me happy. Doable?

The 6.5x06AI will get you 3150fps with a 26" barrel and 140's. I necked down 30-06 Lspua brass and necked turned to a loaded round of .293 for a .297 neck chamber.
This thing is a hammer.