An axe, I'd go a Council Sport Utility Hudson Bay,you can get them with 18" and 28" handles, or maybe a Husqvarna carpenter's axe.

I'm not a fan of short handled axes, but they do have the uses at times. That said, with what you want, I'd be looking at a Tomahawk.

Get a Cold Steel Frontier. They are a little rough to start with but CHEAP. Get a few handles, sharpen, removedthe set screw and reseat the head. Tomahawks are impressively useful. I've cut the [bleep] out saplings around the place up to 6" trees. You can also remove the head and just use it as a 'knife', skinning tool etc etc.

I've put together so damned many axes in the last year and have a basket full of heads and handles waiting. I'll snap you a few pics tomorrow to show you a few.

Like I said, don't underestimate the usefulness of a Hawk and if you are really out there and bust a handle, it's no trick to make a new one from a stick. No wedges needed.

I've also put some riggers/carpenter heads on longer handles that are quite useful. I also like putting hatchet sized heads (1 1/4 pound) on 24" handles. The swing past their weight class.

Aside from the Tomahawks, which have 22" handles, I generally don't use anything less than 24". The shorter they get, the more dangerous they become and less useful.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'