Originally Posted by Girlhunter
There are just too many good old axe heads around for cheap to spend $150, or more, on an axe in my opinion.

Girlhunter;
Good evening, I trust that this finds you well and you're as ready for Christmas as you hoped to be.

It would seem that axes are an affinity that crosses cultures and borders, thanks for the interesting photos and ideas on the various uses and types. In particular, I've got to agree with your thoughts that very good projects can be had for much less than $150USD, but then I seem to enjoy projects as much as axes.... blush

We've got all sorts of "flea market" areas up here across the medicine line - typically on either Saturday or Sunday - where one can find all sorts of old used ax heads, usually in fair to good condition for very reasonable prices.

For years I picked up anything that looked to be made in Sweden as well as decent US made ones. Someday I'll empty the vehicles and take some photos of the finished ones as well as some of the interesting project heads still waiting handles.

Like you, I've been experimenting with longer handles on lighter heads and not only are they safer to use - further from one's own limbs, shins and such, but they're a different animal with an extra foot of handle somehow are they not? cool

For shorter stuff, I've been playing with reshaping roofing hammers into handy little 12oiz -14oz tomahawks which cut all out of proportion to their size. It doesn't hurt that they look sorta cool too.

Lastly, I've been fooling with a couple double bit axes - using them mainly for splitting and experimenting with different types of sharpening to see what works best.

Anyway, it's cool to know I'm not the only ax aficionado out there!

All the best to you and yours this Christmas season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"