Originally Posted by Yondering

If you're using the same Lapua brass and BHW barrels, I'd think your velocity capabilities should be very similar to mine, taking the barrel lengths into account. Mine is a 24", although I'll be finishing a 20" soon to compare numbers. I'd be very surprised if your 22" was more than ~75 fps slower than mine though, and more likely 30-40 fps. Do you know what velocity you're getting from 29.5gr of Lever with that 105?

My 6Gs have 20-inch barrels. I have not chrongraphed the Lever loads, I only clocked the initial loads with Re15, H4895, Varget, and AR-Comp. I will say that the 29.5 Lever loads did seem to fire with more enthusiasm, if you know what I mean. I'll make it a point to load up at least a few more of that load and chronograph it...I mean to chrono more of them since I am not confident in the numbers I got the first time around.

Also - make sure you're not bumping the case shoulders back too much, no more than .004" or so. Excessive shoulder bump can show false pressure signs; even .010" bump can do that. FYI my new Lapua brass had the shoulders .010" back from a Go gauge, so it had a tendency to show some false pressure signs on the first firing that don't show up after that with the same loads. It did that in my LBC and the Grendel.

IIRC, I set up my die to bump about 0.002 inch. To be honest, I don't recall checking that with brass fired from BOTH rifles. Maybe I should revisit that...I may end up with another die because I use a Co-Ax and I detest fiddling with sizing die adjustments. I like "set-and-forget" for sizing dies (and I prefer that for my scopes too...a whole nuther can of worms!).

On the build details, the main thing I was wondering is how tight/secure your barrel is in the upper; if it's a thermo fit or shimmed and glued, or just set into a typical slightly loose fit? It's been a bit since I've assembled an Aero upper, but IIRC they were a pretty standard slip fit with a normal barrel extension, and could benefit from shimming and Loctite, or at least Loctite. (Use green 680 or 620, not just blue 242 or 243.) That can help with accuracy a bit, although it won't turn 1.5" groups into 0.5" groups.

It has been eight months since I assembled the rifles, but as I recall the barrel fit to receiver was nice. I was able to slide them together but with a bit of resistance. I did not think LocTite would help in any way.

A comment on shooting position and ergonomics with ARs - a more vertical grip is helpful for prone or bench shooting, and works just as well everywhere else. I prefer the Magpul K2 grip. The standard A2 mil-spec grip is terrible IMO; that's one of the first things I change out.
Along with the vertical grip, moving your thumb to the palm side of the grip (instead of wrapping around) and only pulling straight back with your fingers helps. Of course that goes along with setting up straight behind the rifle instead of bladed to one side.
With all of that done correctly, to me an AR feels just as natural as a good bolt gun for prone shooting, and better than a typical hunting stock bolt action.

I think I used K2s on these rifles as well. They're Magpul, for sure. I'll try altering my grip as per your suggestion next time I shoot. I might take a look at getting set up with a better rear bag, too.

I appreciate your comments, thanks!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.