Originally Posted by GWPGUY
Evening gentleman, This may sound funny but how tight are gaiters in fit , are they tight enough to be water proof standing in water??? I usually wear high cut boots or rubber boots if I think I'm going to be in water. I've just recently started wearing low cut boots (lighter) and an old pair of my daughters riding gaiters that are leather but I always thought they were just for brush tag alders to protect the legs. Do they fit tight or are they cinched up around your calf & boot. Maybe I've been missing out on something??? Just curious?? Bill out πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

As tight as you can get them, as fit affects function. But no, they will never be water proof when standing in water. The best way to put it would be they improve your odds of staying dry when running through water that is over your boots. Although that's a great way to fall in the river, depending on riverbottom and pack weight.

They keep snow, sticks, rocks and other stuff out of the top of your boots. And they protect the uppers of your boots in sharp rocks, and they provide the above "better chance" waterproofing.