Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
One thing I've noticed with OnX is that the tracks don't always exactly follow the trails I've hiked. They can be as much as 10 yds off from what I can see using the satellite photos. Normally 10 yds is no big deal. If I can't find my way within 10 yds I'd better stay home. However, if I had to use an inaccurate waypoint to mark a dead elk in heavy cover it might be a different story.

Using my Garmin Montana with a HuntX chip for geocaching, I've found it accurate within 3'. I haven't yet used my phone and the Garmin side by side to check for the the phone's GPS accuracy.

This is a guess, but that may just be differences in the mapping data...not necessarily an error on OnX's part.
The satellite photos may have been mapped using NAD 83 and the OnX maps may have been developed using WGS 84, or vice versa. Likewise your GPS/phone settings may be set to one or the other, where the map or overhead photos you're looking at was developed using different data.

It likely doesn't matter much as you mentioned, but I have had this issue finding small cadastral survey markers that have been overgrown with brush.
10yards is well within the margin of error of most handheld GPS units as well. But, if it's consistently offset it might very well be a difference in datums.

True as well. Individual, mass sold units are not as accurate they are often touted to be. Throw cloud cover and other atmospherics or terrain into the mix, and a 10 yard margin of error is pretty common I'd think.

I've used very sensitive and high dollar equipment at work that is supposed to be sub-meter accurate, and had "inaccuracy" due to the datum issues.