Well, let’s look at reality. First, only one half of my question was answered. The proven blood part was omitted. For why, I can only guess. Silver Labs as mentioned later may or may not have a strong hunting drive. If the Dog doesn’t have it, silver or purple is pretty much a waste of time for both Dog and owner.

Second, we have an admitted novice when it comes to training a Bird Dog. Where does or should he start? His Bud, says no treats. You say treats are OK. You say you wouldn’t hunt with a Dog that wouldn’t retrieve to hand. I say all mine did and do, without being force trained. Now back to the fact we have someone who knows dreck about training. Then let’s throw in how and how not to train re gun shyness.

Some expect perfection from their Dog, but lack the same in themselves. Which always gives me pause. I’m not, and thus I’m willing to cut mine some slack when it comes to always being perfect.

So he is already getting mixed signals. Thus my suggestion he gets hands on help from people who are there to actually place some hands on.

Finally we all don’t own the best field and retrieving Dogs.
I had one, that I would put up against any. He had maniacal drive, combined with a great nose. Retrieved around 1500-2000 Doves, around 300 Ruffed Grouse and flushed who knows how many more. Throw in some Pheasants and he was the complete package. I’d put him up against the best of the best. And place money on it.

Now, I’ve seen a few others that were great. Hunted over another’s Springer this fall that may be one of them. Bud had a setter, that I would place money on in the Grouse woods. Lacey was so good it was scary to watch her pin a Bird.

The rest of mine fall far short from being ranked as a best. Like human athletes all don’t deserve to be ranked with the elite examples. To think anything else is a fools game.
Entered quickly on the lphone. Please excuse the errors.

Last edited by battue; 12/22/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler