Originally Posted by Model70Fan
I assure everyone that I won’t be taking this dog to some competition. As for buying pure bloodline, it’s a silver lab it was gifted to us by her parents. The dogs parents apparently have superb bloodline traits. I’m not a snob so I guess it’s lighter color won’t bother me like it does a “purest”. I really just wanted to get peoples take on how they trained their dogs which I appreciate all the info that’s been shared. As far as a retriever club goes, it sounds interesting but if it’s something that cost much money I don’t think I’ll be interested at this time. I know that this will be a learning experience for all 3 of us. Can’t wait!

Train it to be under control but still happy and have fun together. Better a happy hunting friend than a sad automaton, IMO. Retrieving can be fun play that pays off in the field or blind.

I know from a lifetime of good and mediocre dogs that a happy dog is more fun. If training to a razor edge is someone's thing, well, that's their thing. We once did that with dozens and dozens of dogs back in the day and did it without e-collars, just check ropes. As a kid I had to help with the training. I wasn't even allowed to play with the dogs in the big back yard.

Anymore, mine get some basics to keep them safe and are allowed to be dogs. I started training at a very early age.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”