This is my 2nd B&C reticle scope, and another in 3.5-10, inbound.
My 1st, a 3.5-10 Vari X III, I had the B&C put in, is on a custom 280ai I had Benchmark Barrels build for me.
I've shot 2 cow elk, and 2 Oryx with that combo. I'm shooting 140 gr Barnes ttsx's.
Both elk were at a little over 300 yards, so I just had to use the standard crosshair intersection.
The 1st Oryx was at 693 yards, but uphill.
Because of the angle, I used the 550 yard aiming dot, and crushed it in the right shoulder, with it exiting, just behind the left shoulder. I have it sighted in for a 300 yard aiming.
Was I lucky ? Probably, as I wasn't sure of the angle to compensate.
The 2nd Oryx, was offhand at 184 yards.
Dead on hold, a little low.
With these 4 examples, was twisting a turret better ?
No, a 3" inch high at 100, @dead on at 300, would have worked the same with a standard duplex/crosshair.
Time to twist a turret to get 300 from zero at 100, not really. Shots happened pretty quick.
Had I twisted to 693, I would have over shot. Experience from shooting elk in Colorado at long range, and using a ballistic calculator, told me to hold high with the 550 dot. How much to twist ?
I didnt have time to look anything up while following the Oryx up the mountain.
I have learned with my 280ai, that I can hit 18 inch plates at 700, and 800.
At say, 700, a known lasered distance.
Hold the the thick to thin point on the plate. That is your 600 yard aiming point. Look at where the 500 yard hash is pointing at. It's kinda Kentucky windage shooting but it works.
Get a definitive aiming spot, and raise the the thick to thin point to aim at where the 500 yard hash was on.
Send it before things change.
Same applies to 800, but you'll need to practice to see how much to add for a bit more drop, with using the 400 yard hash.
I like the reticle enough to start changing many scopes over to it.
I dont need anything over 10x to shoot 1k, and a bit over.
Just make sure your target is wider than the thickness of a duplex reticle when holding for wind !
I learned the hard way on a coues deer !
I'm trying out a SS 10x with mils on my LR 7mm RM.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]